Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Kyron Horman Case: Desiree Young Statement Analysis

Kyron Horman has been missing for more than a year now.  He was last seen by his step mother, Terri Horman, as she dropped him off at school on June 3, 2010 and he was never seen again. 


Statement Analysis of this case has shown:


1.  Terri Horman has been deceptive regarding the disappearance of her step son.  Indicators of guilt present. 
2.  Desiree Young, Kyron's mother, has been truthful with no indicators of guilt. 
3.  Kaine Horman, Kyron's father, has been truthful with no indicators of guilt. 




DESIREE YOUNG, MOTHER OF KYRON HORMAN: I want them to talk to her. I want them to ask, where is Kyron? There`s someone out there that has him and there`s someone out there that knows information and they have not come forward. 

KAINE HORMAN, FATHER OF KYRON HORMAN: He`s still out there. We just need to find him. 

YOUNG: Yes, we just want him home. I`m tired of dreaming. 

I hope every day that Kyron comes through the door, and that we find him ok. I want that with everything.

HORMAN: One minute away was awful enough. And to be this far along and have him not home, it`s terrible. 

YOUNG: We love you, Kyron. Never give up hope. We are all coming to get you to bring you home. 

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Tonight, an ISSUES exclusive; Desiree Young, the mother of Kyron Horman, who has been missing now for more than a year, is here live to talk to us about the latest in the case. Desiree wants to shout it from the mountaintops, "Where is my son?"

Kyron vanished June 4th of last year during his school science fair. He was last seen with his stepmom Terri Horman. She has never been named a suspect, but Terri Horman is still a big part of this investigation, especially after claims surfaced that Terri allegedly tried to hire someone to kill Kyron`s dad Kaine. 

Kaine then left Terri, filed for divorce and took their young daughter with him.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Terri, how can you stay silent when Kyron is still missing? 

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Kaine Horman still has a protective order against Terri, and she`s still not talking. Despite search after search after search after search, not a shred of evidence has turned up in little Kyron`s disappearance.

Look at this precious child. Imagine what his mother is going through not knowing what happened to her little boy. It`s unimaginable.

I`m very honored tonight to be joined by Kyron`s mother Desiree Young. Desiree, first of all, I feel like I know you, because we devoted so much of our shows over the past year to finding your child. We want to bring him home. Thank you so much for being here.

We hope that somehow talking to you will spark somebody`s memory, to cause somebody who may have some information who`s not coming forward, to come forward and tell everything they know.

I have to ask you, Desiree, police are still saying that they cannot say for sure whether your son is dead or alive.


Note that often television interviews consist of a host making long statements followed by a compound question.  The essence of the interview is the 'speech' of the television host rather than the gathering of information.  The focus upon the television personality greatly limits information.


YOUNG: Yes.

VELEZ-MITCHELL: It`s a difficult question, but what do you think has happened to your precious boy?

YOUNG: Obviously I have changed my opinion over time, but in the beginning of the case, I -- I definitely thought Kyron was going to come home any second. I knew we were going to find him, he was going to be ok and everything was fine. I didn`t think for a second that Terri could have ever done any harm to my son.

I know differently now, and it`s further reinforced a year later, we know way too many details about Terri and what she`s been doing and what she was doing prior to Kyron going missing, and everything about her personality just screams to me that we know that she hates Kyron, just hates him. And we see a lot of writing from her communicating that she did not like him and did not want him in her life.

And I just feel now, over a year later, I just feel like she probably harmed him. We just need to bring him home, and we just need answers. We need her to just tell us what she did with him and where he is.
 


Note the pronoun changes; from singular to plural back to singular, and then back to plural.  This is often a display of weakness.  Why weakness? Desire does not have confidence that Terri Horman will reveal the information she needs to bring Kyron home.  


We have analyzed Desiree Young's statements since Kyron went missing.  She gave honest answers that she did not know where Kyron was, nor what happened to him, yet weakness crept into her statements over time which revealed her deepest fears that Kyron was dead, yet attempted to put on a brave face.  In a situation where one subject is speaking for others, the "I" that presents is important; often personal, and strong. "We" shows weakness, which we see when she asserts that Terri Horman needs to tell them (plural) what happened.  The weakness shows that Desiree does not believe that Terri Horman is going to come forward and tell what happened. 


Desiree's pattern is consistent:  


VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now, we reached out to Terri`s attorney, we have not heard back. She has been living in relative seclusion, reportedly with her parents and there are signs outside the yard that say, basically don`t come in, leave us alone.

If Terri is watching, since we did reach out to her attorney and we didn`t hear back, and since she`s not considered a suspect or being called a suspect, but clearly the news reports would indicate that she`s the focus of the investigation, do you have a message for Terri Horman? 

YOUNG: I do. Where is Kyron? We want him home, we want answers. We`re tired of waiting. It`s been over a year, you know. You win, we give in. Just tell us where he is. 


The pattern is consistent. 

VELEZ-MITCHELL: And if she does? If she does know? She was the last person with him, seen with him at a science fair. She says she left him at the science fair and left. And obviously you have your doubts about that story, but again I have to emphasize that she`s not been charged with anything, she`s not under arrest, she`s living with her parents in seclusion.

If she knows something that she isn`t telling, what motivation would you give her to come forward, Desiree? 

YOUNG: Well, we`re -- above everything, above punishment or justice for what`s been done, we just want answers. We just want Kyron home. So, you know, above everything else, that`s all we want. I know that -- that we`re willing to get what we can. I`m sure that they`re willing to negotiate with her and talk with her about it.


Note the weakness found in the additional words "and talk with her about it"   Law enforcement is not going to be "above" punishment or justice, and Horman's attorney will not allow her to speak.  The attorney knows that police, via  a grand jury, have been unable to effect an arrest.  There is no coercive motivation for Horman to speak. 

But she just has refused to talk at all. She`s refused to clear herself. She knows what happened that day. I can`t go into any of the details, but she knows what happened and where Kyron is. And she knows exactly where she went and what she did with him. 


Over time, the analysis has shown Desiree's belief:



Terri killed Kyron out of hatred and dumped the body. 


VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now, even though she has moved to live with her parents in Roseburg, and is in seclusion, you have actually put up billboards near where she lives. Tell us about that, and what is your message? 

YOUNG: Yes. I have put billboards up. I just want her to see his face every single day. I want her reminded every single day of what she`s done. I want her to suffer. I want her to suffer as much as Kyron has.


Note the absence of all plural pronouns:   no "we" here.  This is strong and it is personal.  

And those billboards are a reminder that I will never stop. I won`t stop until we find him. It`s my promise to Kyron that we will never stop. It`s my promise to her that I will be here every single day, reminding her that she needs to talk, and she needs to tell us what happened. 

VELEZ-MITCHELL: What have these 13 months been like for you? 

YOUNG: A roller coaster of emotions. I`ve said before it`s a nightmare, but I don`t even know if I can put into words exactly what it feels like to just have that constant pull in your soul, because he`s missing.

We went and saw "Harry Potter" the other night. I went with my older son. There was a scene in there, a little baby that`s supposed to be "Harry Potter". He looks just like Kyron at 9 or 10 months old. I started bawling.

It`s things like that. It`s every single day, constantly. Just things that remind you and remind me of everything he is missing out on, and everything that Terri took from us, his whole family, and Kyron. He doesn`t get to experience all the stuff. It`s sad. 

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I`m so sorry. I can`t even imagine. I know that everybody who is watching, all of our hearts go out to you. We want to be helpful. We want you to have some kind of -- I know the word "closure" is ridiculous. Everything says who has been through something like this that there is no closure, but answers -- answers. 

YOUNG: Yes. 

VELEZ-MITCHELL: What happened to the grand jury? I mean, months ago we all saw, we heard Terri Horman, we heard her best friend Didi Spicer (ph), I think that`s her best friend there, Didi Spicer had appeared before the grand jury and showed up at the grand jury location, anyway. And what happened about that?

We heard about gym workers who testified that Terri was upset with her husband, Kyron`s dad, Kaine because allegedly apparently he had insisted Terri`s oldest son move out of the family home, which could have created resentment. That resentment could have -- who knows. Whatever happened to all of that? 

YOUNG: Well, it`s my understanding the grand jury is still convened and still working on the case. I heard reports recently that they were still working on it and still making decisions for it. So it`s my understanding it still is being used as a tool and still active. 


Note passive answer.  The grand jury still working is reduced to "my understanding".   This is terribly sad and needs no further analysis. 

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now, law enforcement has scaled back their task force, their Kyron Horman task force, apparently just the lead investigator is on it full time and he works in coordination with the prosecutor and the FBI. How does that feel? 

YOUNG: You know, um, I know -- I was prepared that eventually that would happen. It`s disappointing, and at times very frustrating. We`ve been waiting for searches to happen since January, because the weather was a factor before, so we are patiently waiting for the weather to warm up. There`s these three key areas they still need to search, and we`re still waiting the on the searches, because the sheriff`s office just doesn`t have the resources.

It`s disappointing. It`s -- those searching are what keeps our hope alive. We, as a family, feel like Kyron`s being forgotten, because we`re not doing the searches. That`s the only way we`re going to bring him home is if we complete those key areas. If nothing else it rules out another area we know Kyron isn`t. 

You know, it`s -- 

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Desiree, more on the other side. We`ll be right back.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: That adorable child. Such an adorable child, and he is gone from his mother`s life and his father`s life, and they are heartbroken and devastated. And they need your help to find him and find out what happened.

It is every mother and father`s absolutely worst nightmare, incomprehensible. We have no idea what Desiree Young is going through, but she is here, courageously joining us to talk about her thoughts, her feelings, her theories, in the hopes of somebody out there hearing something. It jogs their memory or somebody who`s hiding information, especially if somebody is hiding information and they know something, please come forward.

Desiree, I have to ask you, how is your relationship with your ex- husband Kaine, Kyron`s father. Do you speak at all? What`s happening there? 


speech plus compound question that highlights speaker rather than guest or information that can only come from the guest.

YOUNG: Well, I separated myself from some of the stuff that was going on, and I`m not speaking with him outside of anything that involves the case or Kyron. I just have chosen to make a statement, because I was -- well, not just me, my husband as well, we were both extremely disappointed and really upset finding out some of the stuff that was going on in the house that we found out from the media and the court paperwork and all of that stuff. We didn`t find out from Kaine directly, and it was really upsetting.


(see prior analysis that showed increasing rage from Desiree as she learned what was tolerated by Kaine)

It was upsetting because there were so many opportunities for him to share that information with us, and he didn`t choose to do that. And so, you know, unfortunately it`s a difficult position to be in, being divorced, and having to go through the situation and try and, you know, be on the same mission to find Kyron. But at the same time we`re completely separate people and separate lives, and we live our lives in two different ways. I just had to make that choice for myself, because I -- I couldn`t do it anymore. 

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Now, we haven`t spoken to Kaine, but he is always invited to also come on. We`ve had him on in the past. I know you can`t get into any details, but are you basically suggesting that there were things that you weren`t pleased with, lifestyle? 

YOUNG: Correct, yes, there were lots of things that we`re finding out now that I would have never allowed. 

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I want to go to Bruce McCain. He is a person who is a former county sheriff. He had some pretty tough words about how this investigation has been handled. Let`s listen. 

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

BRUCE MCCAIN, FORMER COUNTY SHERIFF: Frankly, to borrow the President`s analogy about driving this into the ditch, this investigation has been in the ditch for some time now. The Sauvie Island searches were basically a PR gig in order to get $200,000 in overtime, which worked, by the way. 

(END VIDEO CLIP)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: These are the searches of Sauvie Island, which Bruce is referring. He`s very critical of this investigation, saying essentially that there were a lot of things that weren`t followed up as effectively as they could be. Do you agree or disagree, Desiree? 

YOUNG: I think that some of the stuff probably hasn`t been handled in a timely enough fashion that I would like. But I don`t think that the case has been mishandled in any way.

I`m sure that from the outside Bruce McCain might think that, but I think for the most part they have been really diligent about covering everything possible out there. We`ve ruled out every other person that was even involved at the school that day or not involved at the school that day, so we`ve narrowed all of that down. There`s been tons of electronic correspondence from Terri specifically. And -- 

(CROSSTALK)

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Can I ask you one last question because we have only about ten seconds -- 

YOUNG: Sure. 

VELEZ-MITCHELL: If your son, and I hope God willing, is alive, what would you say right now? 

YOUNG: We`re coming to get you, Kyron. I will never stop. And be brave. 

VELEZ-MITCHELL: I want to thank you, Desiree for joining us. I know what you`re going through is just unimaginable heartbreak. And just know that we will do everything we can to keep your case alive. We are not going to let it become a cold case. And please come to us with any information you get. Thank you so much. 

YOUNG: Thank you.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment