Sunday, August 21, 2011

Bob Dylan In Bangor, by Heather Hyatt



Bob Dylan performed at the Bangor Waterfront last night in Bangor, Maine.  I had the pleasure of seeing the show with Peter, Sean and Christina.  Peter and I last saw Dylan in 2007 in Portland, Maine and at that time we thought it would be the last time we saw him, as he was then 66 years old.  We were thrilled to learn this summer that the now 70 year old Dylan would be playing an outdoor show in our home state.

Last night's weather was beautiful; humid but with a cool breeze, and lightening in the distance throughout the evening, which was never close enough to pose a threat but added to the electric atmosphere of the show, as the flashes conspired with the pounding of the drums causing the kids to look up in amazement. It was their first concert. 

It has been a long time since I saw a concert at an outdoor venue and there is something special about hearing live music under the stars, Especially when that music is being performed by an artist who has meant a great deal to me, to my husband, and to our family over the years.  

Bob Dylan isn't God, nor do I idolize him as one.  What he is, to me, is a man who has been blessed with an amazing gift; that is an ability to put into words and melody so many things that many have thought and felt, and a unique voice to transport those marvelous lyrics.  Bob Dylan captures in music life's emotions, happenings and predicaments in a way that no other artist has done, and through his music he has spoken to generations.  I can always find a Dylan song to satisfy any mood, and in a way, his music has helped me make sense of the world, and of how I view it.  

Last night's show was much anticipated by my family, and it didn't disappoint.  

Here is the set list, courtesy of http://www.boblinks.com/082011s.html


Bangor, Maine
Bangor Waterfront Pavilion
August 20, 2011

1. Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel)
2. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
(Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel, Stu on acoustic guitar, Tony on standup bass)
3. Things Have Changed
(Bob center stage with harp, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
4. Tangled Up In Blue
(Bob center stage with harp, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
5. Beyond Here Lies Nothin' (Bob on guitar, Donnie on electric mandolin)
6. Mississippi (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on electric mandolin, Stu on acoustic guitar)
7. The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll
(Bob on keyboard, Donnie on electric mandolin, Stu on acoustic guitar, Tony on standup bass)
8. Ballad Of Hollis Brown
(Bob center stage, Donnie on banjo, Stu on acoustic guitar, Tony on standup bass)
9. Simple Twist Of Fate (Bob on guitar, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
10. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel)
11. Blind Willie McTell
(Bob center stage with harp, Donnie on banjo, Stu on acoustic guitar, Tony on standup bass)
12. Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel)
13. Ballad Of A Thin Man (Bob center stage with harp, Donnie on lap steel)
   
  (encore)
14. Like A Rolling Stone (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on pedal steel)
15. All Along The Watchtower (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel)

Among these songs were some of my all time favorites, as well as some pleasant surprises.  The show was an experience that I enjoyed, and the technical aspects of the music were lost in a feeling of excitement, comfort and joy.  Here are my highlights:

Peter and I hoped that the show would open with a song that the kids knew, and "Rainy Day Women" didn't disappoint in that regard.  The song was happy, loose and had the crowd singing along from the get  go.   When the Band followed with lively and bouncing, "Don't Think Twice " which was equally as fun, we knew we were in for a special night.  

Tangled Up In Blue:  This has always been a favorite and I read a long time ago from a long forgotten (by me) author's opinion that it is the best song ever written.  Last night's version was driven, and Bob sang it like it was an old familiar friend.  I had much the same feeling about it as I got lost in the years old tale of love that just didn't work out in spite of all intentions and opportunities.   I remembered the feeling I had when I was a twenty year old kid and first discovered Blood on the Tracks.  At that time, I felt like Dylan was singing about my life.  Last night I felt grateful that Dylan gave me a chance to reflect on and remember that time again.  
There is nothing quite like Dylan at center stage with his harmonica, with his arms reaching and legs bowed, a seventy year old man holding court over an expansive audience of young children to senior citizens.   It was something special to see.

Mississippi:  Some days I list this as my favorite Dylan song and it is often playing in my kitchen as I bake and cook.  This is the one song I hoped he would play, and I was ecstatic to hear the first few lines.  I jumped up and down like a little kid who had just opened the Christmas gift that has been longed after for a whole year.   For me, the lyrics of Mississippi are unsurpassed and always put a smile on my face.  Last night's version was lively, happy and more fun than any song I have ever heard live.  I had lost my voice by the time he sang "My heart is not weary, its light and its free/I've got nothing but affection for those who have sailed with me."  By the time I heard,  "My clothes are wet, tight on my skin/Not as tight as the corner that I've painted myself in/I know that fortune is waiting to be kind/So give me your hand and say you'll be mine" I was positively giddy.  
Some of my favorite all time lyrics, sung on a perfectly beautiful night, surrounded by my family made me feel blessed to be exactly where I was at that moment.  I can't imagine a better feeling than that. 

The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll was a nice surprise and Highway 61 absolutely rocked.  I love  Thunder on the Mountain and couldn't stop smiling as it played.  Ballad of a Thin Man had the crowd mesmerized and showcased the master entertainer that Dylan has remained for decades.

Ballad of Hollis Brown is one of my favorite old Dylan songs, and last night it was haunting and beautiful, with Dylan at center stage, and the most perfectly played banjo I have ever heard telling the heart wrenching tale of a South Dakota farmer and his decision to take his life and the life of his family.  Last night, it was musically and emotionally stunning. 

Simple Twist of Fate was nothing short of lovely.  It is one of the most emotionally painful songs from the divorce period (New York Sessions) and one which hasn't been my favorite on the Never Ending Tour due to the guitar into that seemed not to match the elegance of the song.  This time, it was done in a softer, gentle resignation, once again, reminding me of the peace that Dylan has with his past, and the wisdom and maturity that life has given to him.  Bob Dylan reminded me last night of the timeless wisdom to "honor the gray head"; seemingly lost in the 60's with the 'don't trust anyone over 30' catch phrase, and how Hollywood and television portrayed youth as wise, and parents as stodgy, head but no heart, thinking, and how the elderly would be pushed aside, rather than honored for wisdom.  It felt as if Dylan was taking back the folly of the culture of youth worship, and showing how not only relevant he is for our generation, but that he always has been relevant.  

Blind Willie McTell was another song that I had hoped to hear and it was incredible.   Dylan at center stage, singing his heart out and playing the harmonica with more intensity than any of the other tunes.  I am at a loss to describe this performance.  It was a highlight of the night, with lightening in the distance and this beautifully haunting melody hanging in the air.  

Like a Rolling Stone has been an encore for most recent shows and I was curious to hear how it comes across these days.  I love the angry versions of the 60's and bitter versions of the 70's and was interested to see how the presentation of this anthem, what some have called the greatest rock and roll song ever recorded would be changed by time.  Last night, I heard Like a Rolling Stone sound mature, as if time has freed Dylan from the anger and bitterness and replaced them with acceptance and wisdom.  I got the sense that when Dylan sings "How does it feel?" the answer is no longer wrapped up in angst and pain, but in contentment.  
Perhaps I heard it this way because of my own journey through life, from bitterness and pain to peace and contentment.  Whatever the reason, it was a joy to hear and provided pause for reflection.

Needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed last night's Bob Dylan show at the Bangor Waterfront.  I didn't go there expecting to hear Dylan suddenly miraculously sing with the same voice he did when he was in his 20's.  I didn't go to hear the arrangements of the songs as I wanted to hear them; only to complain when they didn't live up to my expectations.  

I went to hear what Bob Dylan and his Band had to offer, and to appreciate their gifts that they have been generous enough to share.   As always, the songs I heard from Dylan made me think, enjoy and reflect, and I couldn't have asked for more.  

If I could I would send a thank you note to Bob Dylan.  It would say: 

Dear Mr. Dylan,  

Thank you for your concert at the Bangor Waterfront.  

I am thankful that you are willing to share your gifts and talents with so many.  Your music has been a part my family over the years and I am blessed to have been able to hear it.  

Sincerely, 
Heather Hyatt 


No comments:

Post a Comment